Pattern: Bubby from Knitty.com
Yarn: Red Heart Soft Yarn, acrylic, in "chocolate"
Needles: Size 3 dpns, Clover bamboo
Other materials: DMC cotton floss for embroidering, Soft Touch Poly-fil Premium (machine washable and non-allergenic), ribbon from Michael's
Finished dimensions: Bubby is teeny weeny and only 8" tall
What I learned from this project:
- The "Make One" increase. This is the first time I've knit an M1. I made two "oopsy" holes, which I closed afterwards, so it looks fine.
- I loooove knitting with bamboo dpns! However, I would increase my needle size if I do this project again. I knit tight stitches, and using 3.25mm needles with worsted weight yarn was difficult. I had to be gentle because I feared breaking my precious bamboo needles.
- I suck at embroidering. Bubby's face took me an hour to sew on, and it is only three circles for the eyes and nose.
- Acrylic yarn still sucks. For Bubby, I used Red Heart "Soft Yarn," the only acrylic yarn I find "acceptable." This acrylic is suitably soft, machine washable, and dyed in rich colors. However, this yarn is darn splitty. Picking up stitches was a pain. Darn acrylic. Give me wool! Give me alpaca!
I think Bubby is cute, but his neck is flimsy, so I'm not sure I'd knit another as a child's toy.